provides an informative 3D animation with a simple, visual explanation of the causes of palatal OSA and snoring. The video makes it easy to see how the placement of three tiny implants helps correct the palatal vibration and collapse that can cause snoring and obstructive sleep apnea.
The Pillar Procedure targets the most common cause of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)—the soft palate.1,2 During the Pillar Procedure, three tiny woven implants are placed in the soft palate. Over time the implants, together with the body's natural fibrotic response, add structural support to and stiffen the soft palate. This structural support and stiffening reduce the tissue vibration that can cause snoring and the palatal tissue collapse that can obstruct the upper airway and cause obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
Pillar implants are made of a material that has been used in implantable medical devices for more than 50 years. Patients cannot see or feel the Pillar implants, nor do they interfere with swallowing or speech. Many patients resume normal diet and activities the same day of the procedure.
Clinical studies of the Pillar Procedure have shown that:
1. Quinn SJ, Daly N, Ellis PD. Observation of the mechanism of snoring using sleep nasendoscopy. Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci. 1995 Aug; 20(4): 360-4.
2. Isono S, Tanaka A, Nishino T. Dynamic interaction between the tongue and soft palate during obstructive apnea in anesthetized patients with sleep-disordered breathing. J Appl Physiol 2003; 95: 2257-64.
3. Maurer JT, Verse T, Stuck BA, Hörmann K, Hein G. Palatal Implants for Primary Snoring: Short-Term Results of a New Minimally Invasive Surgical Technique. Otolaryngology-HNS 2005 Jan; 132(1):125-31.
4. Maurer JT, Verse T, Stuck BA, Hörmann K, Hein G. Long-Term Results of the Pillar Palatal Implant System for Primary Snoring. Otolaryngology-HNS 2005 Oct; 133(4):573-8.
5. Goessler UR, Hein G. Verste T, Stuck BA, Hörmann K, Maurer JT. Soft palate implants as a minimally invasive treatment for mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea. Acta Otolaryngol. 2007 May; 127(5):527-31.
6. Data on file.
Dr. Stephen Colm provides services ranging in dental implants, wisdom tooth removal, extractions and pillar procedure to patients in the following Colorado cities:
Highlands Ranch CO • Centennial CO • Littleton CO • Lakewood CO • Greenwood Village CO • Castle Rock CO
Address: 200 West County Line Road, Suite 230 • Highlands Ranch, CO 80129 • Phone: 303-791-0422
Pillar Procedure Website Designby PBHS 2010©